Welcome to Red Class!
Starting school is an exciting time and in Red class we have four adults who are here to help! We have a beautiful class as well as an outdoor learning area where the children are encouraged to learn and explore. In our reception class we use the children’s interest to steer our learning. We also engage the children in a variety of rich texts to expand their vocabularies as well as their imaginations. We arrange activities that foster independence and encourage the children to challenge themselves. We enjoy having visitors, going on trips and sometimes getting a bit messy!
There are seven areas of learning and development, grouped into two categories prime and specific areas. The prime areas are important because they lay the foundations for children’s success in all other areas of learning and life. Please also use the links below to find some helpful information about the Early Years Curriculum and the Early Learning Goals.
In reception we use Tapestry as an online tracking and communication tool – if you are not familiar with this don’t worry as we will host information sessions for parents and carers throughout the school year.
We know that you might have questions about your child’s learning journey and we are here to help! If you have any questions please feel free to speak to a member of our team at pick up or drop off.
*Please ensure that you send your child to school dressed for the weather! Also remember that in reception we sometimes do get messy – this means we are having fun! It is helpful to send the children in with a spare set of clothes they can leave at school.
Welcome to Reception. This is to help give you an idea of what we will be covering in the different areas of learning this term.
You can view our full curriculum here:
Autumn: View Here
Spring: View Here
Summer: View Here
• Developing confidence to communicate with peers and adults
• Listening to others and responding appropriately
• Enjoying a range of books and commenting on events, joining in with repetition
• Asking and answering simple questions
• Recognising names and writing names
• Mark making for a variety of purposes e.g. letter writing, writing a shopping list, and using a range of writing materials
• Recognising initial (first) sound in words e.g. cat, dog
• Linking sounds to letters
• Playing rhyming games
• Describing story settings, characters and main events.
• Suggesting how a story might end.
• Developing an in-depth understanding of numbers 1-6
• Recognising and beginning to order numbers 1-6
• Recognise, create and describe patterns
• Say which number is one more or one less than a given number
• Estimate a number of objects and check by counting
• Add and subtract two single-digit numbers
• Use everyday language to talk about size, weight, capacity
• Estimate, measure, weigh and compare and order objects
• Explore characteristics of everyday objects and shapes and use mathematical language to describe them
• Use everyday language to talk about time, days of the week and months of the year
• Exploring and experimenting with a range of media
• Creating simple representations of events, people and objects.
• Exploring musical instruments and learning new songs
Here you will find links to websites or documents to help with Home Learning
Phonics Sounds and Actions: View Here
Phonics Sounds and Actions Digraphs: View Here
Early Learning Goal Exemplification: View Here
Early Learning Goals Parent and Carers Guide: View Here
Activities To Try At Home: View Here
Developing Hand Strength with Playdough: View Here
Here are some links to get you started with your child’s Home Learning https://www.westgreen.haringey.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Reception-Home-Learning-Links-.docx
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously.
|cookielawinfo-checbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|
Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features.
Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.
Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads.
Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet.