Welcome to Rainbow Class
At West Green our Speech and Language Resource Base is called Rainbow Class. Like a real rainbow we are colourful and vibrant! Here is where we have an opportunity to develop our language and communication skills in a small and cosy environment. Our fantastic teachers and therapists help us develop our speech, curricular and social skills. We work hard and learn in all sorts of interesting ways like acting out, role plays and games. We have many hands on activities that expand our vocabulary such as visuals and Makaton. We are a part of our mainstream classes and join the Rainbow Class for more in depth and supported work in English, Science and Topic where we can get more personalised help.
As we are a small group we are like a team of friends who care and support one another and form a strong bond. We also get a chance to be very creative and express ourselves through work and play. We know that learning is an on-going process and love finding out new facts about the world around us. We always link it with our own life experiences, which we like to share and ask lots of questions to find out more. We have very inquisitive minds.
This year has been very exciting. In science we have been learning about animals including humans, weather and plants. We carried out experiments and recorded our observations and conclusions. We went on fantastic trips, recently we visited the London zoo where we saw animals from all groups: birds, fish, mammals, amphibians and reptiles.
In topic we have been learning about our city and our local area. Did you know that the first ever postal stamp called Penny Black was invented by Rolland Hill who lived right here in Tottenham! We have also learnt about the Great Fire of London and if you ask us we can tell you all about where, when and how it happened. Last month we visited the Museum of London and had a fun workshop bringing it to life. We also had a real tea party where we had a chance to taste foods from the four countries of the United Kingdom. This half term we are learning about the monarchs of England. We already know that Queen Victoria’s face was on the Penny Black stamp and King Charles II ruled during the great fire of London, did you?
Thank you for visiting and reading our blog. If you would like to find out more the Speech and Language Resource Base provision in West Green Primary School, please click on the link below.
Welcome to Reception. This is to help give you an idea of what we will be covering in the different areas of learning this term.
You can view our full curriculum here:
Autumn: View Here
Spring: View Here
Summer: View Here
• Developing confidence to communicate with peers and adults
• Listening to others and responding appropriately
• Enjoying a range of books and commenting on events, joining in with repetition
• Asking and answering simple questions
• Recognising names and writing names
• Mark making for a variety of purposes e.g. letter writing, writing a shopping list, and using a range of writing materials
• Recognising initial (first) sound in words e.g. cat, dog
• Linking sounds to letters
• Playing rhyming games
• Describing story settings, characters and main events.
• Suggesting how a story might end.
• Developing an in-depth understanding of numbers 1-6
• Recognising and beginning to order numbers 1-6
• Recognise, create and describe patterns
• Say which number is one more or one less than a given number
• Estimate a number of objects and check by counting
• Add and subtract two single-digit numbers
• Use everyday language to talk about size, weight, capacity
• Estimate, measure, weigh and compare and order objects
• Explore characteristics of everyday objects and shapes and use mathematical language to describe them
• Use everyday language to talk about time, days of the week and months of the year
• Exploring and experimenting with a range of media
• Creating simple representations of events, people and objects.
• Exploring musical instruments and learning new songs
Here you will find links to websites or documents to help with Home Learning
Here you will find important letters for things such as School trips or even home work.